So having bought the bits to service the motor, I was going to wait till I felt better and the coughing stopped or reduced significantly.
Typically, by just after lunch time on Sunday, now having spent pretty much 8 days indoors, sitting in a chair, and a very small amount of laying down till 8.30am on a couple of days, I was feeling a bit cooped in.
So I headed to the garage to see what my body would let me do.
So I proceeded to change the airfilter, easy job, unclip cover, remove dirty old unit, replace with new, close airbox.
Following this, I prayed to the gods of frustration, pain and mechanical catastrophic failure that undoing the small, hidden oil filter would be as easy….. as years ago, I was forced to smash a screwdriver though an oil filter that had been fitted by a gorilla with a bionic arm, the screwdriver cut and sheared through the metal canister of the filter, but eventually came unstuck. This trauma has always hidden in the recesses of my mind, and I really did not want a repeat.
Working carefully to thread the removal tool around the filter, in the very limited space, I managed to undo the filter and then unscrew it by hand.
Sump plug and draining the very black, dirty oil next.
Much easier done.
After using Google to establish the volume of oil needed, was 3.7 litres, I marked the side of the oil can/container with a sharpie where it needed to be emptied to into the engine.
Filled the oil, closed everything up.
Checked the brake lines and fuel lines and general underside of the car once more, before dropping it back to the floor.
Back on the ground, the last job was the spark plugs that needed to be replaced with new items.
Interestingly, the plug wire boots that go deep into the centre of the head, put up more if a fight at no 2, 3 but eventually they were all changed around and tightened.
I must be honest, my untrained eye cannot see much difference, but at around £3.50 per plug, it seems a cheap price to pay for added peace of mind and smooth running.
So at that point, the basic service had been done.
Timing belt and other bigger items will be done at a later stage, probably after it goes for and hopefully passes an MOT successfully.
So I tried starting it, fingers crossed.
Video, linked above, shows the result.
Happy so far.
For anyone wanting to read the whole story of the Rezin Rockit build:
Thanks for checking in, subscribe to themYouTube channel if it is your thing, and share this if you think a friend will get a chuckle out of it.
Signing out…… Rian.